How to Get Rid of Headaches in 7 Ways – Headache attacks make you difficult to focus and do various activities. Before taking painkillers, there are many quick and easy ways to get rid of headaches.
There are two types of headaches that most often suffered from headaches due to tension and migraines, either left or right. Both types are commonly caused by stress, certain diseases, or environmental influences.
How to Get Rid of Headaches
The first step to know how to get rid of headaches, needs to be seen based on the cause. Even so, you can also relieve headaches in seven ways below.
1. Massaging the Tense Muscles
Massage can relax the tense muscles and smooth the flow of blood. So as to help relieve headaches. Try to do a light massage twisted in pain area such as the head, neck, and shoulders.
Do 5 to 6 massage sessions each week. This method is believed to reduce migraine attacks up to 3 weeks later.
Or you can stretch the muscles in the following way:
- Move your chin forward, up, right and left
- Lift shoulders up and move forward also backward
- Press the palm of the hand on the forehead and hold for a few seconds
- Press also palms on both sides of the head
Do this stretching twice a day for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Relaxation in the Dark Room
Try to rest for a moment in a dark and silent room, because people with headaches are generally sensitive to light and sound.
You can lie down, close your eyes, and let the tense muscles in your neck, shoulders, and back relax.
Or you can sit and meditate in the following way:
- Close your eyes
- Take a deep breath and release slowly (while imagining the fun things that reconcile you)
- Let the parts that fell tight or cramp become relaxed
- Lower the chin closer to the chest then turn the semicircular head from one side to the other
Perform this meditation technique several times until the pain subsides.
3. Pay attention to Food and Drink Intake
How to get rid of headaches can then be done by avoiding foods containing nitrite and nitrate such as foods high in MSG and processed meats.
In addition, limit substances such as alcohol, caffeine, tyramine (found in beans and soy), phenylethylamine (present in chocolate and cheese), and aspartame (found in artificial sweeteners) that can trigger headaches.
Also, eat regularly. Where some headaches can be caused due to low blood sugar levels. So, do not miss the time to eat, especially a healthy breakfast.
4. Warm or Cool the Area Around the Head
Headaches can also be reduced by warming or cooling the tense muscle area. If you want to loosen the muscle tension in the neck, try to stick a hot water bottle or a warm towel on the nape of the neck.
Meanwhile, to relieve headache pulsed, stick ice in a towel on your forehead or both temples. This method can relieve the inflammation that occurs in the lining of the brain when a pulsating headache occurs.
5. Do the Neck Muscle Exercise
Neck muscle exercises you can do to reduce certain headaches. For example, headaches caused by the head are held in the wrong position, such as in sleep or sitting conditions are too long.
To reduce the pain, try to apply the following neck muscle exercises:
- Place your palms on your forehead.
- Using your neck muscles, try pressing your forehead into your palm.
- Remember during pressing, keep the head in an upright position and try to keep the pressure aside as the hand does not move.
6. Try the Acupuncture Technique
Massage techniques such as acupuncture can also be applied to relieve headaches. Perform this acupuncture technique in the following way:
- Place both thumbs on the back and bottom of the skull.
- If you are confused, this position is almost close to the neck muscles and is the boundary of the hair-covered skull.
- Press the part until you feel a little pain.
- Press your thumb while doing a small circular motion around the area of pain.
Do this massage technique about 1-2 minutes.
7. Try Drinking Ginger Water
The benefits of ginger for health turned out not only related to natural antibacterial properties. Eating ginger water is believed to relieve headaches. In addition, this rhizome is believed to reduce the symptoms of nausea and vomiting that arise when experiencing severe headaches.
Read also: Quit Smoking with Natural Remedies
How to get rid of headaches is not solely with drugs. If your headache is caused by stress, or tension, simple ways like meditating for a moment and cooling your head with ice can relieve your headache. But if the headache continues, immediately consult a doctor.